June 17, 2015
This time of year ants are very active and can be found everywhere, the park, on sidewalks, your lawn, your picnic blanket, and unfortunately inside of your home. Most ant species are nuisance ants and won’t cause any major harm to you or damage to your house. However, they can become quite an annoyance within your home, contaminate your food, and be very difficult to get rid of. So instead of having to deal with eliminating ants all summer long, take the time now to prevent them.
Ants commonly enter into homes as they forage for food. Most ant species feed on similar foods that we eat- meats, sweets, and sugary liquids; because of this our kitchens can act as a sort of all-you-can-eat buffet for them if they are not kept out. It is also important to remember that the ants that you see marching through your home are generally just the tip of the iceberg; hundreds or even thousands more could be living and nesting behind your home’s walls in Arlington or out in your yard.
Ant prevention tips from the pros at Mitchell Pest include:
- Reduce the areas of moisture around your home; make sure that gutters are not clogged and are working to direct water away from the foundation of your home. Fix any leaky outdoor hoses or faucets.
- Trim back trees and bushes away from the exterior of your home. Ants will use their branches as a bridge into your home.
- Keep woodpiles away from the outside of your home and make sure that they are kept up off of the ground.
- Make sure that outdoor trash cans have secure fitting lids and that they are kept a distance away from the outside of your home.
- Seal any cracks or crevices in your home’s foundation and exterior walls.
- Caulk gaps around doors and windows and install door sweeps underneath of all exterior doors.
- Pick up uneaten pet food.
Along with taking the steps to stop ants from gaining entrance into your home, there are some steps that you can take inside of your home as well to help prevent them. Make sure to quickly clean-up crumbs and sticky spills in the kitchen; and routinely clean behind large appliances. Try not to make a habit of leaving dirty dishes in your sink overnight. Store food in sealed containers or inside of the refrigerator; do not leave food out in the open on your counters or tables. It is also important to not let garbage build up inside of your home in Richmond
Ants can be persistent pests, and despite your best efforts to keep them out may still find a way to get into your home. If this happens do not lose sleep, call the professionals at Mitchell for help. The best way to quickly and safely get rid of an ant infestation is with professional ant control
. Here at Mitchell Pest Services, we know how to find and treat all the foraging ants and nesting areas, ensuring that they entire colony is eradicated not just the ants you are seeing roaming though your kitchen in Virginia Beach
To learn more about our pest control solutions for ants, please contact us
Keep reading to learn about termite control with Mitchell Pest