What Do Bed Bugs Look Like?
Adult bed bugs are reddish brown in color and are oval in shape with a flat body. After a blood meal, bed bugs will have a darker red color. They grow to be about ¼ of an inch in length, are wingless, and cannot fly, or jump, but they can crawl very efficiently. Bed bug nymphs are very small and are an off-white color.
If you think you have bed bugs, contact the office closest to you for a free inspection
VA Beach bed bug company
Bed Bug Facts
- Bed bugs can be found anywhere that humans live. The cleanliness of a business or your home will not prevent a bed bug infestation.
- They can live for several months to a year without a blood meal.
- Bed bugs can survive of wide range of temperatures; from nearly freezing to 122 degrees.
- They can be found in any area where there is a high level of human traffic. This includes places like; dormitories, hotels, schools, hospitals, airports, libraries, movie theaters, nursing homes and shopping centers.
- Bed bugs are nocturnal. They hide in cracks and crevices during the day and come out to feed at night.
- Some people react to a bed bug bite with a raised red welt while others do not react at all.
- Bed bugs do not transmit any known diseases.
- Bed bugs travel to new locations by hitchhiking on a person, their belongings or furniture.
Signs Of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs can be difficult to spot but, adults can be seen with the naked eye. They are often found in the seams of mattresses and underneath box springs. With the help of a flash light, adults can also be spotted in the cracks of walls and wooden furniture. Other signs of bed bugs include finding black flecks of bed bug feces on your bedding or red blood stains from where they have been crushed. You may also find piles of their shed skins on your mattresses or the floor. If you have a very heavy bed bug infestation there will be a sickly sweet odor in the air.
Bed Bug Control
Mitchell Pest Services offers comprehensive bed bug control in Virginia Beach and Richmond that includes accurate identification of the pest and thorough treatment of all the affected areas. If you're concerned that these biting pests have infiltrated your home or business, contact us today to get rid of bed bugs!
Will Throwing Out Mattress Or Other Infested Items Take Care Of Bed Bugs?
Simply throwing out infested mattresses or other furniture will not take care of a bed bug infestation. Along with hiding in bedding and furniture, they also hide in the cracks and crevices of walls, floors, furniture, behind pictures and around electrical outlets. The only way to successfully find and get rid of all the bed bugs, the nymphs, and their eggs is with the help of a professional bed bug control expert.
How Do You Prevent Bed Bugs?
It can be tricky to prevent bed bugs; however, there are some steps that you can take to help stop bed bugs from invading your home and business. Here are a few preventative measures that you can take while traveling:
- Make sure to inspect your hotel room for signs of bed bugs before bringing your luggage and other belongings into your room.
- Keep your suitcase up off of the floor.
- Keep items that are not being used in sealed plastic bags.
- Do not leave you clothes or shoes laying around on the floor or furniture.
- Be vigilant when spending time in public places and keep bags, coats, and purses up off of the ground.
- Routinely wash outerwear.
- Upon your return home follow these simple tips:
- Immediately wash all clothing in hot water.
- Wash and vacuum out all suitcases and travel bags.
- Where possible, store suitcases and travel bags in sealed plastic.
- Don’t forget that bed bugs travel in and amongst furniture. Try not to introduce used furniture into your home or business.