Cockroaches are one of the most notorious pests and are a very common reason for calls to our office.
The four most common cockroaches in Virginia are:
This type of roach grows up to 2 inches in length making it the largest cockroach to invade homes. They have a distinctive yellowish figure eight pattern located on the back of their head and their bodies are reddish-brown.
German cockroach adults grow between ½ and 5/8th of an inch in length. They have wings but rarely if ever, use them. They are tan and have two darker stripes on their back directly behind their head.
Oriental cockroaches grow to 1 inch in length and are shiny black. They are winged, but cannot fly. Males have a narrow body and females have a wider-shaped body.
Asian cockroaches look almost identical to German cockroaches. They are the same size and have the same two dark stripes on their back behind their head. The main difference between the two is that Asian cockroaches have wings and can fly very effectively.
How Do You Prevent Roaches?
Getting rid of cockroaches in Virginia can be a difficult task. The best way to prevent cockroaches from choosing your home is by implementing the services of a professional pest control service like us here at Mitchell Pest. We offer pest control services in Leesburg and surrounding areas. There are, however, some things that you can do in and around your home to help prevent an infestation from taking over your home.
Some easy cockroach prevention tips include:
- Use dehumidifiers in all moist areas of your home like a basement, garage, and attic.
- Fix leaky pipes or faucets inside and outside your home.
- Store trash in sealed containers away from the outside of your house and have it removed on a regular basis.
- Inspect packages before bringing them inside.
- Clean up spills and crumbs as quickly as possible.
- Place woodpiles and compost piles away from your home.
- Regularly vacuum and dust your home.
Common Signs of Cockroaches
Cockroaches are very good at hiding in hard-to-reach areas and only venture out at night to forage for food, and it can be difficult to fully get rid of cockroaches. The first sign of a cockroach problem that most homeowners notice is the feces of the roaches. Cockroach feces can be found in pantries, kitchen drawers, behind appliances, and other areas of your home. Depending on the species they can look like coffee grounds or look very similar to mouse droppings. In the case of a large infestation, you may notice a musty smell in the air and you may find dead cockroaches around your home.
There are many common misconceptions regarding cockroaches. Here are some facts that may help clear up some frequently asked questions:
How do cockroaches get inside?
- Cockroaches enter into homes through pipes, drains, and cracks in your home’s exterior walls as they forage for food and water. Cockroaches can also accidentally get into homes in packages, used appliances, bags, and furniture.
Are cockroaches nocturnal?
- Yes, cockroaches are nocturnal and most cockroach species prefer to live in dark, moist, warm environments.
Where do cockroaches hide?
- Inside of homes, they are typically found in kitchens, bathrooms, and basements. Cockroaches routinely travel through garbage, excrement, and sewers which causes them to carry a large variety of bacteria on their legs and bodies.
Do cockroaches carry diseases?
- Yes, they can transmit Salmonella and other diseases that can cause fever, vomiting, and diarrhea to you and your family.
Do cockroaches cause asthma?
- Their shed skins and excrement can trigger asthma attacks in some people, especially in young children.
Professional Roach Control
If you're looking for roach control in Virginia Beach or the Richmond area, Mitchell Pest Services can help! For homeowners, we offer comprehensive home pest control services that address infestations of cockroaches plus other common household pests. And for businesses, you can count on Mitchell's commercial pest control program to eliminate cockroaches and protect your employees, product, and facility.